MacLellan Smith is committed to protecting the privacy of all individuals who:
• visit our website or mobile site offered by MacLellan Smith, including without limitation MacLellan Smith.com, and including all subdomains, present and future
• use the Services including our candidate filtering tool and all future developments
When we talk about “Personal Information”, we mean information relating to you or other identifiable individuals.
To make this policy easier to read, we call the Website or mobile sites, our “Services”. When we talk about “Personal Information”, we mean information relating to you or other identifiable individuals.
MacLellan Smith Data and Customer Content
We collect Personal Information from our customers and users of the Services for our own purposes, such as to provide and administer the Services (“MacLellan Smith Data”). We’re the data controller in respect of this information. MacLellan Smith Data is also referred to as “Candidate or Client Company Information”.
MacLellan Smith Data we receive or collect
When you use the Services or make an email enquiry, we collect some Personal Information about you such as:
• Your name and email address
• Your IP Address
• Information relating to an individual’s real time location
• MacLellan Smith also automatically collects and receives certain information from your computer or mobile device, including the activities you perform on our Website, the type of hardware and software you are using (for example, your operating system or browser), and information obtained from cookies (see “Cookies and Related Technologies” below). For example, each time you visit the Website or otherwise use the Services, we automatically collect your IP address, browser and device type, access times, the web page from which you came, the regions from which you navigate the web page, and the web page(s) you access (as applicable).
All information in stored securely on our servers and any passwords are stored with one-way encryption.
How we use MacLellan Smith Data
MacLellan Smith uses MacLellan Smith Data for the following general purposes:
• to identify you when we respond to your enquiry
• to enable us to operate the Services and provide them to you
• to verify your transactions and for potential purchase confirmation, billing, security, and authentication
• to analyze the Website or the other Services and information about our visitors and users, including research into our user demographics and user behaviour in order to improve our content and Services
• to contact you about your account and provide customer service support, including responding to your comments and questions
• to keep you informed about the Services, features, surveys, newsletters, offers, contests and events we think you may find useful or which you have requested from us
• to sell or market MacLellan Smith products and services to you
• to better understand your needs and the needs of users in the aggregate, diagnose problems, analyze trends, improve the features and usability of the Services, and better understand and market to our customers and users
• to keep the Services safe and secure
• We also use non-identifiable information gathered for statistical purposes to keep track of the number of visits to the Services with a view to introducing improvements and improving usability of the Services. We may share this type of statistical data so that our partners also understand how often people use the Services, so that they, too, may provide you with an optimal experience.
Cookies and related technologies
The Services use “session cookies”, which improve your user experience by storing certain information from your current visit on your device, such as log-in information. These enable us to remember your log-in session so you can move easily within the Website or the other Services. Without these session cookies, we wouldn’t be able to provide the Services to you. These session cookies have limited functionalities and expirations, and you will be required to re-enter your MacLellan Smith log-in information after a certain period of time has elapsed to protect you against others accidentally accessing your account contents and related Personal Information. Another examples of our use of session cookies include to track the number of visits by a particular visitor to a page.
Performance and Remarketing Cookies
MacLellan Smith uses a specific cookie in order to facilitate the use of Google Universal Analytics for users logged-in to the Applications or the Platforms (“Logged-In User). If you are a Logged-In User, MacLellan Smith may use your MacLellan Smith user ID in combination with Google Universal Analytics and Google Analytics to track and analyze the pages of the Services you visit. We do this only to better understand how you use the Website and the other Services, with a view to offering improvements for all MacLellan Smith users; and to tailor our business and marketing activities accordingly, both generally and specifically to you. Google Analytics cookies do not provide MacLellan Smith with any Personal Information.
Learn more about privacy at Google and to opt-out of this feature by installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
Most computer and some mobile web browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can change your browser to prevent that or to notify you each time a cookie is set. Please note however that, by blocking or deleting cookies, you may not be able to take full advantage of the Website, Applications, Platforms, and/or Shop. If you do not want to receive tracking pixels, you will need to disable HTML images in your email client, and that may affect your ability to view images in other emails that you receive.
When we may share Personal Information
(1) when you explicitly consent to the disclosure of such information to a third party when connecting to a third-party service that asks you if you consent to such sharing;
(2) where we are legally required to do so, such as in response to court orders or legal process, or to establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights or to defend against legal claims or demands;
(3) if we believe it is necessary in order to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, fraud, or situations involving potential threats to the rights, property, or personal safety of any person;
(4) if we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding situations that involve abuse of the Services infrastructure or the Internet in general (such as voluminous spamming, denial of service attacks, or attempts to compromise the security of the Website infrastructure or the Services generally);
Protecting the safety of children when they use the Internet is very important to us. Our Services are not designed nor intended for use by children or anyone else under the age of 16.
We use industry best practices to keep any information collected and/or transmitted to the Supported Platforms or Third-Party Apps secure.
Certain Personal Information, most notably MacLellan Smith log-in details, is encrypted during transmission using TLS.
You should bear in mind that submission of information over the Internet is never entirely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of information you submit via the Services whilst it is in transit over the Internet and any such submission is at your own risk, and this risk is specifically disclaimed in our Terms.
If you are a Logged-in User, it is advisable that you log out of your account at the end of every session and not leave a logged-in account unattended for any period of time, particularly if you use a shared computer or device.
Information storage and international transfers
MacLellan Smith, the entity which provides the Services, is a Scottish company with its head-office located in Glasgow, Scotland.
Our Services are mainly provided from our offices in Scotland. However, by the very nature of the Services, the data that is viewed, collected, stored or posted on or through the Services also needs to flow from wherever you are located in the world, to where our Supported Platforms are storing the same data. In addition, MacLellan Smith uses third-party service providers (such as managed hosting providers, card processors, CRM systems, sub-processors of Customer Content and technology partners) to provide the necessary hardware, software, networking, storage and other services that we use to operate the Services. These third-party providers may process, or store, the same Customer Content on servers outside of the EEA, including in Canada or the US.
By using any of the Services, or submitting or collecting any Personal Information via the Services, you MacLellan Smith and its authorized service partners to use and process Customer Content and MacLellan Smith Data (including any Personal Information) in these countries. Please be aware that the privacy protections and the rights of authorities and Government agencies to access your Personal Information in some of these countries may not be equivalent to those in your country.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
You may opt out of marketing communications sent by MacLellan Smith by managing your email preferences by following the unsubscribe instructions included in each marketing email.
You can contact us to obtain a copy of the Personal Information held about you by us. This may be subject to a fee not exceeding any prescribed fee permitted by applicable law. You can also ask us to correct and, where relevant, erase that information. Please note that certain Personal Information may need to be retained by MacLellan Smith for a period of time following cancellation of your account where this is necessary for our legitimate business purposes or required or authorized by applicable law. As mentioned above you have a right to change your email preferences at any time.